Monday 1 October 2012

Monday Mural: Flying Yorkshireman


Although I am not a rugby fan I was struck by this poster advertising the Rugby League play offs which are currently taking place. The final is on 6th October.

I was pleased to see that the medieval War of the Roses (1455 to 1487 between the House of Lancaster and the House of York) has been put behind us and that Yorkshire- represented by this Leeds player, has a prominent place in the old Lancashire capital of Manchester.  Linked to Monday Murals .

I knew little of rugby league (generally northern England and working class) nor rugby union (generally southern England and upper class/private schools) until my research for my 2007 book Wembley: Stadium of Legends by Tomsett & Brand (Dewi Lewis Media).
(www.amazon.co.uk/Wembley-Stadium-Legends-Pete-Tomsett/dp/0954684397)  
In my book research I discovered some fine illustrations of 1940s and 1950s Cup Final programmes featuring Lancastrian and Yorkshire rugby league giants (below) which today's mural reminded me of.

14 comments:

  1. I would like to understand the rules of this game, looks very cool! :)
    Beautiful posters, I like a lot the vintage ones!
    Hugs and a nice day!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely executed mural - I know next to nothing about rugby - but I like the way the action is portrayed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice mural with a lot of action.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It may be nit-picking but Lancaster was, and still is, the capital (or county town) of Lancashire. Manchester may well be regarded as the most important city though, much as people regard New York to be the major city of the USA instead of the capital, Washington D.C.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I`m no rugby fan either - we do have a local team - but I like the poster, and the programs even more. Most programs from the 40`s and 50`s had the same look, no matter the sport.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colorful look of that mural and those amazing vintage posters. Kudos also (belatedly) for publishing...and on a subject you'd known little of!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know little of rugby but that is a great mural!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know a bit about rugby having close ties with a player...
    nice posters

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful ! Years though since last I saw a game. Thank you for the memories. Please have a good Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The graphics indeed share a style even though the events are separated by more than 60 years. To my eye the contemporary poster also references super heroes illustrated in comic books. Would not have gotten the historical link or the attitude shift the contemporary poster represents. Appreciate the lesson. Thanks for contributing to Monday Mural.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was confused by the "Try Tornado of Leeds", so looked it up (and am still confused) but Oakland is spot on with the superheroes theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A "try" is similar to a "touchdown" and tornado I guess is a reference to this rugger player's supposed strength.

      Delete
  12. It's the 'Greatest Game of All', my parents took me to the Challenge Cup Final at Wembley in 1966 to watch the Saints (St Helens) beat Wigan. I've been a massive fan ever since!

    ReplyDelete

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain